Wednesday 10 October 2007

a new goal, and some very swingy play

This week is the start of my new plan to try and set a firm goal to focus on in my poker. I figure that I'll never get anywhere if just allow myself to just splash around in the very shallows. With that in mind I decided to set myself a target. If I can get my bankroll up to above $100 then I'll move myself up to the higher stake tables. I reckon if I've got something to aim for it will give me a bit more drive and purpose.

So, I've played two sessions this week so far, both of them being profitable, although with the latter session it was a very close run thing!
Once again I've still not learned to get out while ahead, quickly doubling up from my $3 buy-in, then almost as quickly throwing almost all of it away again. A good chunk of it I lost in one hand by giving my opponent too much credit. I'd limped in on the big blind with 8-6o and turned a set of sixes, and lost my money not pinning someone on thinking J-6 was a worth paying to go in with!

As for how I bounced back from $1.50, I've got to hold my hand up and admit to a fair chunk of luck on my part. See below and shake your head at my foolish and fortunate play.

#Game No : 6400222027
***** Hand History for Game 6400222027 *****
$5 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Wednesday, October 10, 16:24:07 ET 2007
Table Table 127105 (Real Money)
Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 3: DownHigher ( $5.88 USD )
Seat 9: rodrigoont ( $3.15 USD )
Seat 1: e_r_c ( $1.49 USD )
Seat 5: maestrul05 ( $5.57 USD )
Seat 4: sirexim111 ( $6.98 USD )
Seat 10: macalderini ( $6.54 USD )
Seat 6: tetraspack ( $5.14 USD )
Seat 7: MagicJ444 ( $5.04 USD )
Seat 2: Anagarih ( $3.90 USD )
maestrul05 posts small blind [$0.02 USD].
tetraspack posts big blind [$0.04 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to e_r_c [ 9c Ts ]
MagicJ444 folds
rodrigoont folds
macalderini folds
e_r_c calls [$0.04 USD]
Pract1ce has joined the table.
Anagarih raises [$0.20 USD]
DownHigher folds
sirexim111 folds
maestrul05 folds
tetraspack folds
e_r_c calls [$0.16 USD]
** Dealing Flop ** [ Js, 5d, 7h ]
e_r_c checks
Anagarih bets [$0.30 USD]
e_r_c raises [$1.28 USD]
Anagarih raises [$1.96 USD]
e_r_c is all-In [$0.01 USD]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8c ]
** Dealing River ** [ Ah ]
Anagarih shows [ Ad, Ks ]a pair of Aces.
e_r_c shows [ 9c, Ts ]a straight Seven to Jack.
Anagarih wins $0.97 USD from side pot #1 with a pair of Aces.
e_r_c wins $2.89 USD from the main pot with a straight, Seven to Jack.

So, yep I pretty much had no more than 4 outs when I moved in and if I hadn't hit the Eight (or a Nine or Ten technically, since my opponent didn't have a made hand himself) I'd have been broke. My justification is that I was more betting on him dropping his hand, rather than betting on making the straight. Even so it wasn't the smartest play ever, even if it did get me back in the game on this occasion.

As for then doubling up, I had the help of a player who got very excited when his KQ saw a AKQ flop. Shame I had AQ...

So, I'm going to keep track of my wins/losses once more. I've started from a $33ish bankroll, so there's a good way to go to get to $100! Wish me luck...


This week: $5.25
Total: $39.09

No comments: